Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lullaby

I published this over 10 years ago (YIKES!!! Old lady alert!) in the EBBING TIDE Poetry and Prose, Volume 8. In grad school, it was pounded into our heads that we should send out our pieces, en masse, and never expect to be published. We were a tiny school of fish in an ocean. So, when I was published in this quarterly Minnesota publication, I was elated. Oh, the joy of being published and receiving no money, only one copy as my prize. I don't know if I've ever shown this to my parents; and, a 2nd copy cost a whopping $6, so clearly in my poor college days I couldn't have afforded it :) I am pleasantly surprised I still have this copy.

LULLABY

I heard a lullaby tonight
Too soft and sweet to be mine
I think I've heard it
Once before,
Falling
Tripping through the trees
But away in the night
It always flew

Tonight it played strong, loud
Church bells and wind chimes
Someone played it
Once before,
Gently
Quietly through my heart
But stronger than night
There's always You